CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Totem Poles

I know this isn't an original idea... but I'm happy I was able to think of it and use it. 

This week we read about 6 different types of Native American Indian tribes that lived in North America. We talked about how each tribe lived, how they worked, and about their powwows. 

One tribe that we read about, the Tlingit tribe found in Alaska, created totem poles. We talked about the meaning behind totem poles and what the animals carved into the totem poles meant. 

Students then were able to choose 3 types of animals that they felt described them as a person, color them, cut them out and glue them to their 'totem pole' (a piece of power towel roll). 

The kids were excited about doing art projects. We've done a few more, which I'll share as soon as I remember to take pictures of them! I need to do that before the project goes home tomorrow, as they're in the students' mailboxes ready to go home tomorrow. 

Anyway, enjoy the totem poles! 





No comments:

Post a Comment